Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess


The cover and title of this book seemed so intriguing I decided it would be my next read. In the first two pages, Burgess' technique of making up words and creating a whole new jargon kept me vastly entertained; I was impressed with the puzzle and the life it gave to his characters and their futuristic-European setting.

Because of the creative writing and thrill of those first two pages, I'll give this book a rating of: 1 out of 5

After those pages, I'm surprised I read much more. What the protagonist Alex would have termed as "horrorshow (sensational) ultra-violence"--like beatings, muggings, burglaries and rapes--skittered across those pages in between what morphed into an admittedly well-woven story of a 15 year-old psychopath gang leader. Regrettably, even with the violence, I didn't scrap the book until page 96, when the young man remarked on his desire to have been there to crucify Christ. AH! What was I reading???

I want to express somewhere that this book was rotten. I should have done my homework, as it would have forewarned me for the violence (what an innocent I am sometimes). My opinion now is that the Author and the Protagonist of this book both just wanted to see what they could get away with. Please don't read this book. If you would like a list of the entertaining vocab, I'll spare you the read by posting the words I collected from the first 96 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment